I always recommend patients to try whitening products over the counter first. Often they achieve satisfactory results and improve the shade of the teeth. But if the ultimate goal is to have a sparkling and brilliant smile, then you need a reliable enough teeth whitening solution at our Bridgeport Dental office. The bleaching tray we fabricate traps in the peroxide, limiting gum sensitivity. The peroxide solution penetrates below the enamel surface to remove deep stains.
Types of Bleaching available.
In-office bleaching will yield the most dramatic results, but the solution can cause a chemical burn to surround soft tissues, so it is important to bleach under the supervision of a dentist.
Although there’s a horde of whitening toothpaste and mouthwash on the market, none yields any significant result based on my experience. The solution simply does not stay on the tooth surface long enough to work.
Custom home whitening trays and solutions are available for purchase at our Bridgeport dental office. Store-bought whitening solutions have a few drawbacks
- poor adaptation of your teeth (parts of teeth not bleached as the result)
- loose-fitting tray causing soft tissue burns.
A few other tips for those bleaching their teeth.
- Switch to Sensodyne toothpaste for two weeks prior to bleaching to reduce teeth sensitivity.
- Bleaching often leave white spots on your enamel which is completely normal, it will go away on its own.
- follow the instruction given to you by your dentist or on the product label, bleaching excessively can cause permanent enamel erosion.